Hello! Here is my take on the Cambie Dress (view A) from Sewaholic Patterns. I’m excited to say that I was finally able to participate in a Sew Weekly challenge after signing up as a 2012 contributor; this dress appeared on the site for last week’s Independence Day theme: Red, White & Blue.
How neat that I was able to find a scene in Greenwich Village – one of my favorite historic neighborhoods – with a white bike and a red car to complement my blue dress for the weekly patriotic theme! Definitely didn’t plan that (and didn’t realize the great color scheme until I was looking through these photos). It was really hot that day – in the 90s – but I managed to stay cool with this dress. I’m at the intersection of West 4th and Bank Streets, if you’re curious.
The fabric is a pretty chambray that I picked up at Sew L.A. in Los Angeles two years ago. When you look at it very closely you can see interwoven blue and brown threads, which creates a cool textured effect! Because of this, I figured “Muddy Waters” was a perfect name to call the dress. The singer of the same name also sang the blues and this dress looks blue overall, so… 🙂
Oh, and the dress is lined with a navy Bemberg rayon that I had in my stash. I’m starting to run out of lining fabric even though I still have a sizable fashion fabric stash – this is why I’d like to start buying everything I need for one project at the same time! How annoying to want to start a sewing project and realize you’re missing fabric for lining… I did just so happen to have a navy blue 22″ invisible zipper. At first I thought it wouldn’t work with this lighter blue shade, but it’s the perfect color to match the lining! And can I just say I love the way the lining is attached to the zipper. Everything looks so nice and clean on the inside.
I loved this dress when it was first released, even though I’m not a pear shape (the pattern line is designed for pears, in case you didn’t know!). To make up for this, I cut a size 6 at the bust/waist and a 0 at the hips, which are the same proportions I used for the Sewaholic Patterns Lonsdale Dress. It worked everywhere except at the neckline and back armscye, where unfortunate gaping occurred! The dress fits nicely at the bust (minus some needed dart adjustments), so I think in future versions I will just transition down to a 4 for the neckline/shoulders. My high bust measurement puts me at a 4 anyway.
To work around the gaping, I shortened the shoulder straps an inch and this fixed the neckline and armscye, more or less. Not perfect, but there you have it! Oh, and I also shortened the bodice 1 1/2″ so the waistband hit my natural waist.
The thing with solid prints is that you can really see the fitting issues, but I’m trying to forgive myself. Actually, I don’t think it looks so apparent in real life. I do need to play with the darts on my next version. The points of the bust darts are particularly troublesome to me – I take pride in the fact that I can press a dart so there’s no “point” issues! These darts were giving me trouble, though. I really should have adjusted them to better reflect my shape.
And I’ll leave you with a shot of me in front of the Corner Bistro in the Village where I had just finished eating a grilled cheese, french fries and coke. That’s definitely in the Americana spirit of July 4th, if you ask me.
I hope you’re staying cool or warm, wherever you are in the world. 🙂 I already have another finished sewing creation under my belt, and will be contributing it to next week’s Sew Weekly theme. Feels so good to participate in something you decided to join, if only for a challenge every now and then. Until next week, folks!