2016 has been my most productive sewing year yet, and I kind of wonder if it’s because I stopped blogging for a while. In any case, I have a number of makes to share with you, starting with, yep, another M6696 shirtdress.
I bought this fabric nearly three years ago in Paris at Les Coupons de Saint Pierre. It was a last-minute purchase. I already had two other pieces and as I was standing in line with my friend I happened to spot it. As I remember I wasn’t even that taken with it — I liked the other two pieces more — but for the price I went for it (and obviously something about it must have drawn me in).
And there I was, fabric in hand, leaving Montmartre with the best kind of souvenir in hand.
I finally decided to make something with it last September. Odd timing, but I’m not always very strategic when it comes to planning for the cold. September is always a challenge for me with clothes. I stubbornly refuse to let go of the summer and I don’t want to admit that winter is coming, so I often spend the month and even part of October in a state of clothing confusion. As everyone gleefully reaches for their boots and sweaters, I cling to my sandals and shorts.
I eventually stopped working on it just before it came time to attach the button band and hem the sleeves and skirt. I moved on to fall-ier things.
Turns out there’s a bonus to this sort of nonsensical sewing. I felt like I was taking up a “new” project and I managed to finish in no time at all this month! I just needed some red buttons, which I picked up at Pacific Trimmings in the Garment District.
While I’ve made this pattern a few times before, this is only the second version with the pleated skirt. I love the green rayon/linen dress I made, but this fabric has a nice weight to it for the skirt. The green one feels almost a bit heavy. And it wrinkles like crazy.
I should point out that I went with the B cup option (you can choose from A through D cups) and I didn’t shorten the bodice length as I’ve done in the past. It hits just where I want it.
Because of the sheer, delicate nature of this cotton, I used French seams throughout. The pattern comes with a slip, but I haven’t made one yet (I’ve since bought fabric for one though). I’m just wearing a half slip in these photos.
I also decided to go without the collar since I like the softer look. The red “belt” is just some leftover stay tape from my stash that I added for a pop of color at the last minute.
It only seemed appropriate to journey to the French Consulate on Fifth Avenue for these photos. Hello, Upper East Side Historic District! I remember working on a conservation project in the consulate a little over 10 years ago as a student. It was fun to have a (very small) role in cleaning the swank fireplace in the foyer.
And, no, I didn’t notice the security camera pointing right at me during this photoshoot. Well, at least I’m wearing the colors of the French flag!