So, as I’m a little behind schedule with posting my finished projects, here is another one that I completed in late May. This is a pattern I’ve used before, but this time I went with the short flutter sleeves option. I really love the look of those wee sleeves! Although as you’ll notice in these photos, the right sleeve flipped up from when I had my bag straps on my shoulder. I was in a bit of a rush to take these photos so I didn’t take the time to notice. Oops. Also, my name tag flew over my shoulder. That white string isn’t a necklace. 😉 Why was I wearing a name tag, you may ask? Well, read on…!
The fabric is a cotton jersey that I bought for super cheap several years ago. I remember loving the softness of the fabric at the time, and the print just seemed happy for whatever reason. Probably because it reminded me of, well, palm fronds and warm weather. 🙂
Ever since I bought this fabric last spring I’ve been dreaming of sewing it into a wrap dress (as with every knit I buy – at least they don’t ALL turn into wraps!). It’s predominantly purple, but when you look closer there are a number of colors at play. Reminds me of a Monet painting.
The fabric itself is a rayon jersey, and it’s wonderfully soft. Almost feels like a lightweight sweater. Although I bought three yards of it ($5/yard at Metro Textiles in the Garment District), I only used about 2 1/2 yards. Perhaps even less. I went with a new-to-me pattern that I thrifted this summer: Butterick 5546, a “See & Sew” pattern. Well, last Sunday, I see’d it and I sew’d it in a matter of hours. Well, kind of. I’ll explain.
(By the way, yet another post with a crooked picture frame. I swear it’s not that way in real life! Sheesh.)
Here’s the follow-up to my outfit post from last week where I’ll be focusing on the pencil skirt I made to go with my new Marion cardigan (update: the wool is a bit scratchy where it directly hits my skin, which was always one of my hesitations with knitting, but it’s not too bad and I ain’t stopping now!).
Anyway, this is the skirt portion of Butterick 5455, another FESA creation and a dress pattern that I scored for a song at a thrift store this past summer. What a glorious feeling! I’d like to try the whole pattern one of these days.
I had to bring in the waist a bit, but I’d leave it as is if I made the dress. Actually, I took the waist in just a pinch too much and really had to pull at the fabric in the hopes it would stretch to fit me more comfortably (saying “please, streeeeeeetch” while you’re doing that helps). Thankfully, it worked. Just remember you learned that “industry” tip here first. 😉
Well, whatta ya know? It’s my 100th blog post! So here I am celebrating that milestone in a new dress in Brooklyn! And when I’m posing in a new dress on cobblestone streets with old trolley line rails, a 19th century brick warehouse, and the grand ol’ gal herself, the Brooklyn Bridge, you know I am one happy camper.
PATTERNS. I combined the bodice from B5486 and the skirt from the Sewaholic Lonsdale to create a sundress just right for a humid New York summer (although it’s been pretty cool around these parts lately, what gives?). When it does get humid around here I definitely prefer sleeveless tops/dresses, so this dress will come in handy. I also love that the design can be paired with a cardigan, so depending on fabric choice this could easily transition into spring and/or fall. Heck, perhaps even winter!
I’ve had B5486 in my stash for a few years now, and I’d like to make the full version one of these days. It comes with a gathered skirt with an option for knee or maxi length. You can also add a waist tie. I used the bodice of view A and modified the neckline from v-neck to scoop, which is much more wearable for me as an office dress. I made a muslin of the v-neck and I think I’d have to do an FBA to give myself more coverage.
- Pattern: Butterick 5005 diaper bag (also comes with a changing pad and pacifier case, which I didn’t make)
- Fabric: Cotton (Birch Mod Fabrics, Abacus) from Purl Soho; cotton lining from The City Quilter; hair canvas basted to all outer pattern pieces as per instructions (leftover from my A Fashionable Stitch purchase for my tailored coat last year!)
- Notions: From Botani: 1″ white cotton webbing for the straps, gunmetal finish 20″ zipper, and magnetic snap for the outside pocket (pattern calls for Velcro); plastic canvas from Pearl Paint on Canal Street (pattern calls for cardboard) to add structure to the bottom of the bag.
- Alterations: None. Three cheers for one-size-fits all accessory patterns!
- News Flash! Step 34 seems to have an error. See below for my notes on how I fixed it.
Yay, a new-ish creation to share with you! I sent it off to my cousin in San Diego and she just received it earlier this week, so now I can come out of hiding and splash some photos of it here on the blog. Good times, indeed.
I heard about this pattern through Clio of Clio & Phineas, aka the Queen of B5005 – she’s made three already! When my cousin was expecting the first time around I made her Kwik Sew 3749, which I’ve made more times than I can count though I’ve only featured a miniature version here a couple of years ago.