Oh, how I love, love, love Christmas in New York. So festive. And where better to celebrate some holiday cheer than at the famed Plaza Hotel just off Central Park? Look at all those holiday decorations! There are a gazillion public rooms in the Plaza, but these photos feature the beautiful Palm Court and main entrance.
- Fabric: 2 1/8 yards of zebra-ish knit (no idea what it is, but it’s soooo soft!) from Les Fabriques in Charlottesville, VA; 1/2 yard of black cotton tricot for the bodice lining from Spandex House, NYC
- Pattern: McCall’s 6462 (knit)
- Size: 10 with adjustments
- Notions: Black stay tape to stabilize the neckline
- Adjustments: omitted center back zipper and just cut pieces on the fold; omitted lining at skirt; omitted inseam pockets; shortened arm straps to remove gaping at front
So, yes, I have a me-made party dress – woohoo! And in fabric that’s kind of unusual for me, how ’bout that? I bought it in 2011, and every time I’ve picked it up since then I’ve thought it’s way too soft a fabric to be sitting there any longer. Well, now I’ve finally gone and turned it into something.
Please excuse my inner-entertainer, but I couldn’t resist this one. It takes me a while to post between projects as you know, but that doesn’t mean I’m not thinking about sewing on a daily basis. So here’s a little “Now Sewing” feature from Sewin’ in the Rain Studios; a kind of “what’s on my sewing table”, if you will, only better because it’s just like the movies!
I snapped this photo of the glorious Orpheum Theatre marquee in downtown Los Angeles about 5 years ago. Really you must visit this gorgeous theater! I was attending a Harold Lloyd tribute (silent movie star) that night, but since that time management has been kind enough to update the lettering for my new production. What can I say? I have friends in high places. With Photoshop.
Anyway, here are the stars of the show set to premiere this month. Just in time for Oscar season, too!
McCall’s 6462, aka the Greta Garbo of sewing patterns – I’ve only seen her in two reviews!
zebra print knit
I’m happy to report I’m almost done with this dress! Just need to finish up a few things, such as hemming that circle skirt. Oh, Nelly…