The Camelia Bedelia Dress

Happy belated Fourth of July to those who celebrated! Do you remember Amelia Bedelia? She randomly popped into my head when I saw “Camelia” written on the selvedge of this fabric. Anyway, I hesitate to call today’s creation “self-drafted” because it’s really just a rectangle, but I’ll tag it that way nonetheless. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Jerry makes the joke that people think they’re artists simply because they can draw a 3D cube. 😉

IMG_9277

The halter straps were intentionally made long for dramatic effect!

  • Fabric: 1 yard of Alexander Henry “Camelia” cotton
  • Pattern: One rectangle (34″ x 44″) and two rectangles folded up for the straps – aha!
  • Notions: “Chestnut” rayon seam binding at the neckline; white elastic thread for the shirred bodice

I whipped this dress up over the course of a day to wear to my friend’s wedding in Virginia Beach. The photos in this post are from the reception! The neckline and hemline were created by snipping into the fabric and ripping the rest of the way – instant rectangle with a length of 34″. I cut the lone rectangle on the fold and used the whole width of the fabric, which was 44″. This meant I only had one seam so I decided to use a French seam.

You may remember the lengths I went to with my first sundress. So many steps that just weren’t necessary! Tanit-Isis left her no-brainer method in the comments and I instantly felt silly for over-thinking, but, hey, that’s what I do. 🙂

Continue reading

A Dress So Pink and Shirred

Another dress completed, and just in time for my upcoming vacation! I’m going to be in Florida so the color combination still works even though we’re now in the midst of fall here in Virginia. I’m on a wee bit of a roll here, 2 dresses in a week, very satisfying indeed. The dress color is a little washed out in these photos, but scroll to the end to find a detail shot for the true pink color.

…The Basics…
  • Fabric: 2 yards of pink and white striped seersucker from Joann’s
  • Pattern: None! Self-drafted, but based on this dress photo from a class offered at Sew L.A.
  • Details: Straps forming an X in the back made from the fabric’s selvege; handmade self-fabric belt
  • Time in Stash: (fabric) a little over 1 month; (pattern) in my imagination for about 4 or 5 months

Self-Drafted "Larkspur" Skirt

I actually finished this skirt about a month ago in a class I took, but only got around to photographing it recently. It was lots of fun, but there are definitely things I need to jot down for next time so I remember what to do (can’t rely on pattern instructions this time!).

…The Basics…

  • Pattern: Self-drafted Straight Skirt with slash pockets
  • Fabric: Alexander Henry “Larkspur” cotton; cotton lining (also used for pockets)
  • Other Goodies: grosgrain to stabilize the waistband, invisible zip at center back with tab hook & eye closure at waistband, lace at inside hem of skirt (from my never-ending thrifted ball of lace!)

Continue reading