Wearing Yesteryear: April – June 2013

I’m back with another review post of past creations. If you’ve been following along you’ll know I was posting these monthly, but I thought it made sense to combine them into three-month chunks. My last post was in March, so today I’ll be covering how the garments I made from April to June 2013 fared one year later. Off we go!

(Click on the photo or the link below it to go to the original post.)

purple vogue8379

Vogue 8379 Knit Wrap Dress

I’ve worn this dress lots! As with my other versions of this pattern, this is a very practical yet fun addition to my wardrobe. It’s great for work or for special occasions, depending on how it’s styled or what kind of fabric you use. I’ve also worn this particular dress in the colder months by pairing it with tights and a cardigan.

This dress has received some nice compliments, perhaps the best one being “That looks expensive!” from the cheery cashier at Pret A Manger. I’ll take it! I want to make a dozen more versions of this pattern…

Continue reading

Advertisements

Victory’s Nicola Dress: A Splash of Van Gogh

Howdy do! Oh boy, long story short this post certainly took awhile to get here. But, alas, it’s here! I’ll start by saying that I love this dress, but it’s been soured by a rather frustrating sewing process. Gotta have one of those every once in awhile to make sure you really love what you do, yes? Yes…

nicola1

This is the Nicola Dress by Victory Patterns, my first pattern made from this indie company. I used rayon fabric that I had bought three years ago at Sew L.A. and the print is called “Van Gogh” (also used in the blue colorway for my 1920s kimono). This fabric was destined for a few other dress patterns before it finally made the cut with this one, no pun intended. 😀 The skirt is lined with Bemberg rayon and the dress closes with two buttons at the waist, one interior button and one exterior.

Size-wise, I cut a size 2 at the bust and hips and a size 4 at the waist. I almost thought I didn’t need to be so precise and could’ve gone with a straight size 2 since this is a wrap dress, but I’m glad I went with the usual measurements.

Continue reading

Saved By the Safety Pin

I came down with a bit of a cold and spent my day off today watching The Great British Sewing Bee. Definitely a nice way to be entertained without having to do too much! Have you seen it?

nicola

From the Victory Patterns site.

In other news, I finished the Nicola Dress from Victory Patterns and wore it yesterday. I had grand plans to photograph it today, but my cold got in the way! Oh well. I will work on that soon and write up my review. Also, since this is labeled a beginner pattern, I thought I’d add some extra tips that I felt were missing from the instructions that might help beginners sew up this pattern.

Before then, however, I’m going to try to add some snaps to the bodice AND the skirt – maybe I’m just very modest, but having practically my whole right leg show when I took a step forward isn’t exactly what I had in mind!! And, oh boy, this skirt is quite revealing when sitting down. Thank goodness for safety pins. 🙂

Despite these concerns, it’s a beautiful pattern and I received a number of compliments. It’ll be nice not having to rely on a safety pin, which popped open a couple of times during the night when I stood up from where I was sitting. Yikes and a half!

Nicola Progress and Colette Events

wip-nicola

Here’s a quick shot of the bodice of my latest work in progress, the Nicola Dress by Victory Patterns. I was originally going to use another fabric for this dress, but since I’m on a tight deadline and the sheer fabric was going to require underlining, I decided to go with this rayon instead. The print is called “Van Gogh” – perfect because the event I’m going to will be in an art gallery!

I made a muslin of the top and it fit well enough for me to say, “Just go for it, kiddo.” I cut a size 2 at the bodice and transitioned up to a size 4 at the waist, which is what I usually do. There are a lot of darts on this baby! Three on each bodice piece and two in the back (so eight total). The rayon wasn’t liking my chalk pen so I thread traced the darts instead. Took some time but they came out nice.

One thing I noticed is that I probably should have done an FBA. I’ve only seen a few other finished versions of Nicola online and I could sense that this neckline might be a bit revealing on me – turns out I was right! I mean, it’s nice for a date or something…but not a work event. 🙂 It all works out though because I happen to have a matching camisole that will pair nicely with this dress.

Continue reading